Send Sysex To CZ-1 Using MIDI-OX
- Make sure your cables are connected in the correct order. OUT from the computer goes to IN on the CZ. OUT from the CZ goes to IN on the computer.
- Make sure the PROTECT switch is set to OFF. This is a slide switch on the back of the CZ.
- Make sure the CZ-1’s MIDI system is turned on. The LED above the MIDI ON/OFF button should be lit.
Press the MIDI button. To make things simple, we are going to use default values and MIDI channel 1 everywhere. Apply the following settings:
POLY Polyphonic mode KBCH=01 Sending on MIDI channel 1 CH=01 Receiving on MIDI channel 1 PRG=ENA Program changes enabled
When you’re done, your LCD should look like this:
POLY KBCH=01 CH=01 PRG=ENA
- Launch MIDI-OX. Play some notes on the CZ and they should show up in the main window of MIDI-OX. If not, then MIDI-OX is not communicating with your MIDI port.
Make your CZ-1 ready to use sysex tone data. Press the MIDI button on the CZ, and press the DOWN button. Please set SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE TONE DATE=ENA.
When you’re done your LCD should look like this:
SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE TONE DATA=ENA
- Click the MIDI-OX toolbar icon titled “Send a System Exclusive File to MIDI Out Port”. That is exactly what we want to do. When you click that toolbar item, a new window opens called “SysEx View and Scratchpad”.
- In “SysEx View and Scratchpad”, choose “File > Send Sysex File” from the menu. You browse to where your sysex file is stored and select it. That's it! MIDI-OX sends the sysex file to the MIDI port, and the CZ receives it.
- Your Casio fills up with data and “blinks like a Disco” as Cosmo once said.