Receive Sysex From CZ-1 Using MIDI-OX
The CZ-1 is easier to work with for retrieving sound data, because there is a command that dumps all sounds.
- Make sure your cables are connected in the correct order. OUT from the computer goes to IN on the CZ. OUT from the CZ goes to IN on the computer.
- Make sure the PROTECT switch is set to OFF. This is a slide switch on the back of the CZ.
- Make sure the CZ-1’s MIDI system is turned on. The LED above the MIDI ON/OFF button should be lit.
Press the MIDI button. To make things simple, we are going to use default values and MIDI channel 1 everywhere. Apply the following settings:
POLY Polyphonic mode KBCH=01 Sending on MIDI channel 1 CH=01 Receiving on MIDI channel 1 PRG=ENA Program changes enabled
When you’re done, your LCD should look like this:
POLY KBCH=01 CH=01 PRG=ENA
- Launch MIDI-OX. Play some notes on the CZ and they should show up in the main window of MIDI-OX. If not, then MIDI-OX is not communicating with your MIDI port.
- In MIDI-OX, go to “View > Sysex”. A window pops up that will allow you to a have a MIDI conversation with your CZ. The top part is where you talk, the bottom part is where the CZ responds.
- In the sysex window, select “Sysex > Receive Manual Dump” from the menus.
- On the CZ-1, Press the CARTRIDGE/MIDI button to prepare for dumping.
Press PAGE DOWN until you see this screen:
MIDI SAVE OR LOAD
We want to save MIDI data, so press the SAVE button.
It asks you whether you are sure or not:
SAVE MIDI DATA (Y/N)?
Choose yes by pressing the YES button. The CZ-1 starts dumping all data.
SAVE MIDI DATA RUN!
Wait patiently until the process is complete. Don’t press any other keys until you see this:
SAVE MIDI DATA OK!
- You should see the MIDI-OX window filling up with that data.
- When all the data has arrived, save it to a file. Name the file something clever so you can remember why you made it.